Saturday, August 20, 2005

Embracing Complexity and Ambivalence

My latest look in Johari's window revealed a couple of things to me about me. Fiscally, economically, and in terms of foreign policy views I am solidly, though only slightly, left of center. Socially I tend towards the far left. I come up short only in that I'm not a fan of in-your-face displays of individual lifestyle choices. Live and let live, for me, does not include the flaunting of differences for the sake of provoking response (offense?).

All that is the long way of saying I have to periodically take stock of my views and positions. They change. I don't think it's because I'm wishy-washy, or that I'm somehow deficient of moral clarity. I think it is because my education continues. I read. I observe. As Paul (Saul) of Taursus suggests in his letter to the Romans (I think), I test everything, and try to keep what's good.

As a consequence of being open, I see shades of gray everywhere. I don't think that means there are no absolutes. Gray cannot exist without black and white, can it? It does mean that I don't have to be certain in order to trust my perceptions and conclusions. It also means I can be wrong and adjust to what I've learned from my error.

But enough about me. This stream of thought came from a reference by amba at AmivaBlog that led me to Radical Middle where Mark Satin, whose words title this piece, turned me on to Robert Karen and Terrence Real. What they're writing about is where this all started so read Mark's piece.

Gray is beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home